The four acre Alexandra Gardens site was purchased by the local authority in 1889 and subsequently developed in 1907.
The initial development included land for entertainment, tennis courts and bowling greens along with earthworks that created shelter from the winds.
The Floral Hall was built in 1911 as a concert venue with covered seating for 1500 people and a further seating area outside for an additional 1500 people.
The last summer season at the Floral Hall was in 1986, with the half million pound repair bill too much for the local authority to justify with its dwindling attendances. It was subsequently demolished in 1989 and is now the home of the indoor bowling centre.
Over the years many famous stars have played at the Floral Hall, including Russ Abbot, Cannon and Ball, and perhaps most famously Shirley Bassey who performed twice nightly in 1960 with tickets priced from three shillings (or 15 pence). For further details click here.
For further information on the Floral Hall you can also go Matthew Lloyds excellent web site www.arthurlloyd.co.uk which provides additional information about the venue and further background history on this and many other Scarborough venues.
Land purchased 1889 by local authority
Site first developed 1907
Floral Hall built 1911
Floral Hall demolished 1989