Spa Complex 1879+
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1259818
Date first listed: 08-Jun-1973
Statutory Address: THE SPA
II* The Spa dates back to the C18 when a mineral spring there became a place of fashionable resort. Originally there was just a timber embanked terrace to the shore. Later, in the early C19 a castellated building was raised. In 1858 Paxton designed the new ashlar faced Spa pavilion raised on terrace with arcaded ground and 1st floor articulated by pilaster strips, 7 bays, with projecting pilastered corner towers with balustraded parapets. A cast iron verandah with 1st floor balcony encased the building and extended as covered walk in front of stalls and shops to the north along promenade. To the south was a terrace with bandstand and a free standing 2 storey and basement tower with open 2 bay arcades to upper levels and balustraded parapet. In 1877 a fire gutted the main pavilion. From 1877 to 1880 the pavilion was restored and doubled in length by Verity and Hunt. The south part of the present pavilion incorporates Paxton's building with the 2 south towers. In the centre is a 3 storey slight projection with deep entrance niche flanked by similar bays to end towers with paired pilasters flanking 1st floor. The 2nd floor above is divided into 9 small windows, round arched, by pilasters. Balustraded parapet, Surmounting this centre feature is a set back belvedere storey with truncated pyramid leafed roof with cresting. The north wing added by Verity and Hunt balances that to south with similar corner towers. The new architects added leaf domed open belvederes to the towers but these have been removed. Across the ground floor the cast iron verandah with side brackets to columns was extended across new part and had elaborate triple branch lamp standards some of which survive, The verandah is continued as gallery to single storey range along promenade to north. The bandstand to south has been rebuilt and Paxton's Tower replaced by 1920s ballroom. Entrance hall has grand double staircase and blind arcading to walls. The Spa was the most fashionable place of entertainment and rendezvous during the Victorian hey-day of Scarborough, frequented by the Prince of Wales during his visit to Scarborough as guest of the Londesboroughs.